Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Allow me to tell you about all the CDs I've received in the past few weeks. I haven't obtained this many CDs at one time in years. It's overwhelmingly euphoric.

Pedro the Lion Christmas 7" - Jared sent this to me to my pleasant surprise. It's the most depressing Christmas album ever created. I guess it's somewhat thought-provoking, but depressing nevertheless. It takes some nerve (and maybe some irreverency?) to add your own lyrics to classic, worshipful Christmas carols. Leave it to David.

The Arcade Fire - Funeral - I've been listening to this illegally for months now (I was a little behind in discovering them) and Erica gave me a legal copy. It's amazing. I dance around the apartment with it playing.

Denison Witmer - Are You A Dreamer? - Released this summer, his Militia Group debut. Nothing outstanding or overly catchy like his early days, but a very mature record that sure beats his River Bends album and seems like the record he's been working up to all these years. I enjoy it.

Saxon Shore - The Exquisite Death of... - I finally got my hands on it. This sounds amazing, like it was made in the hands of one of the best producers in the biz, which it was. At first I was a little bored, maybe because it's all 4/4 time in a moderate tempo. But after a few more listens, it's quite catchy and contagious. But let's be honest, their music is nothing amazing, it is no more difficult to make than high school punk rock.

Why? - Elephant Eyelash - I can't say enough about this band. Amazing lyrics, interesting and unique music, lots of fun. I could rave and rave and rave. This is some hip hop I can get into.

Iron and Wine/Calexico - In the Reigns - Not exactly what I was expecting, but pretty good all in all. While I realize this isn't exactly an Iron and Wine album, I will say that I think each of his albums gets progressively worse. But I still love him, somehow. How can you not?

Six Parts Seven - Everywhere and Right Here - One of my favorite bands. Another legal copy to further prove to my critics that, "If I like it, I'll buy it (or wait for someone to give it to me for Christmas)."

Appleseed Cast - Low Level Owl vol. 2 - Another legal copy to finally complete vol. 1 which I received last Christmas. I love these albums.

Yume Bitsu - Vessyl of something or other - I found this used at the local CD store and bought it because I remember Jared liking it. I call it "expansive" which I think is a good way of describing it, and it makes it sound like a good thing, but really It's a bit too drawn out for my tastes. It's pretty interesting stuff, though. The songs with vocals are the best.

I feel like there's more than that, actually, but I think that's all. It's been a good few weeks because of it.

1 comment:

nateshorb said...

there is more than that....the album leaf seal beach ep. it's very good.