Monday, February 27, 2006

I got in an argument today with one of my classes. It was over the theme songs to Full House and Family Matters. I was singing "Whatever happened to predictability..." and insisted it was the theme song to Family Matters. The entire class insisted it was the theme song to Full House. I kept asking what the song for Family Matters was, then, if this wasn't it. Nobody could answer. Since I knew I was right, I decided to make it into a friendly little wager. I was up to a total of 113 dollars (most kids bet 2 or 3 dollars, one girl bet 100) when the bell rang and one girl finally tuned into the conversation and asked what we were arguing about. She turned out to be quite helpful.

"Mister. Full House goes, 'Whatever happened to predictability? The milkman the paperboy the evening TV...'"
"Then what's Family Matters?!?" I asked with frustration.
"It's a rare condition, this day and age to read any good news on the newspaper page..."

I started singing along with her and it finally hit me. They were right, I was wrong. The kids got very excited and reminded me how much I owed each of them. ("Tomorrow," I bluffed.) But I made them all admit that the two songs WERE very similar, and perhaps even sung by the same guy.

Sure enough, they sound EXACTLY alike, and they ARE sung by the same guy.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/familymatters1990.wav
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/fullhouse1st.wav

Please tell me you agree, and that you can understand my confusion. I mean, both songs even have the same THEME for crying out loud!

And if you would like to donate to my $113 debt, please feel free.

2 comments:

emsley said...

holy crap! my husband, my sister, and our friend JUST had a conversation about this last week. they do sound terribly similiar. my friend and i were in hysterics because my husband reminded us of a postcard we had sent him from san francisco on which we wrote out what we thought were the full house lyrics across the front. we kind of messed them up thinking that they were "what ever happened to the people on your street, the milkman, the paperboy, even on tv?" so even if you mixed up the theme songs, at least you had the words right!

Anonymous said...

i love this story! i love thinking of you singing aloud in front of the kids.

you're a good one, nate shorb.