Erica and I are helping with Vacation Bible School at our church this week. We’re working with kids that are about 9 or 10.
I’m not sure why, but it really bothers me when kids know too much for their age.
Last night was our first night, and one boy walked into the room and looked at the castle I made. (Our theme is a world-traveling-exploration-type-theme and these are the castles of Poland I created.) He checked it out, gave a puzzled look, and I heard him mutter, “Where are the buttresses?!”
During the Bible story about Ruth, the teacher asked, “What do you think a widow could do for money if her husband was no longer living to provide for her?” A know-it-all raised her hand and said, “Gleaning!” Is that really a part of a 10-year-old’s bank of knowledge?!?
Another question was, “What does it mean to be loyal?” A boy raised his hand and said, “To be trustworthy." A good answer, I guess, but for some (most?) kids, trustworthy is no less of a vocabulary word than loyal.
Later, at the conclusion of our lesson on Ruth, a girl raised her hand and proudly informed all of us that Ruth preceded Christ by exactly 21 generations.
WHAT?!? Are you kidding me?!
I was just glad none of them took the time to pull me aside and explain to me the importance of a kinsmen-redeemer. Then I really would have been worried.
I know that high levels of intelligence in kids really shouldn’t irk me as much as it does. After all, I am a teacher, and high levels of intelligence should be my goal, but I can't seem to help it. Get outside and play! You’re too smart for your own good! Go throw a ball without analyzing the physics of it! Go catch some bugs without analyzing the necessary elements of their ecosystem! Go watch the clouds without worrying whether they’re cumulus or nimbus! Live! Relax! Imagine!
Ignorance is bliss!
My brother, being the often cynical sarcastic pastor’s kids that we are, asked me if I walked anyone down the Romans Road last night. I said no, but give me til Friday. But after recounting these stories to him, I realized these kids will most likely be walking ME down Romans Road by Friday.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Church kids after my own heart! (You and your brother, with the sarcasm. Hilarious!)
Post a Comment