Monday, January 14, 2008

life isn't hard enough

Acts 14.

After healing a man and insisting on giving God his due glory, Paul gets beat up, stoned, and left for dead in the city of Lystra.

Now, it should be no surprise that Paul would live a life of hardship and suffering. It's the first thing we heard after his conversion when God tells Ananias, "I will show him how much he must suffer for my name." But we soon find out this idea--choosing a life of sacrifice, loss, hardship, suffering--is not limited to Paul alone.

When he gets up from his stoning, he and Barnabas take a trip to strengthen and encourage the new believers in the towns they had already visited. Out of all the discipleship that took place, the many conversations, and all the the words exchanged, one quote is recorded:

"We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God."

And as we explore a little further, we see this theme scattered throughout the messages of Christ, Paul, Peter, and others. It's a rare message nowadays, one we may tend to avoid.

Perhaps the most startling is when Paul, speaking to Timothy, says: "In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." Rules of logic state that this also means if you are not being persecuted, you are not living a godly life.

Here, two illegitimate responses typically follow from American Christians:
1. "This is America, a Christian nation full of all sorts of freedom, and that's why we don't face hardships or suffering or persecution."
2. "I face all sorts of hardships! Last week I missed the football game because I was at church. And when I told my coworker that the next day, he called me a Jesus Freak! I felt so persecuted!"

The second response is simply preposterous. The first, though, has some amount of validity. It's obvious we do not experience the same amount or degree of persecution and hardship here in comparison with many other countries. (But NOT because we're a "Christian nation.") Despite this, I don't think it means hardship and suffering will be eliminated.

So all this begs the question, why aren't we facing hardship or suffering? How can we live more "godly lives" that might bring about hardship and suffering?

I've arrived at a few conclusions:
1. Start with an attitude of humility and selflessness, thinking of others before myself.
2. Continue with being a bit less obsessed with my own comfort.
3. Open my mouth more, sharing the sometimes-unsettling-truth of the gospel with those around me.
4. Serve others.
5. Let every decision I make be driven by an eternal perspective rather than typical American ideals. For example, choose a job not because of the money and security but for the opportunities to interact with and serve a variety of people. Or, choose a place to live not for convenience and safety but for the needs in a community that could be fulfilled by my presence.

Starting with these ideas, a little more suffering might come my way.

Of course, all this is completely at odds with the typical American way of living. It's yet another area where we Christians need to take a good hard look at which ideas are American and which are Christian, realizing the two are not always (and perhaps very rarely) as compatible as we're told.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nate.
It's good to read how God is transforming your thinking. Hopefully you're current goals in life and how you pursue them are reflecting this thought pattern.

Neville said...

Good thoughts. I've been thinking a lot lately how totally ineffective the whole "kingdom of God" language is to our generation because, really, we've never experienced what living inside of a "kingdom" is like. Not that I'm saying we should throw out this word but we do need a better metaphor for today. What is the "kingdom of God" like? Maybe that question still is void of hope. Maybe we should say "what does the family of God look like?" This seems to make more sense to me. Also, instead of "serve" why not say "let others have your way over your own." Isn't this what serving is in today's world? I've never had the privilege to be an actual servant so maybe this is part of the reason why "servant leadership" has always bothered me. A phrase so tossed around, yet, so misunderstood by almost everyone (including me).

Regarding your persecution talk...yeah...the closest I've ever felt to being persecuted is...yeah, you're right. It's never happened. Which makes you wonder. Maybe living in a Christian nation is worse than not because comfortableness replaces stark religious contrast between people and as we all know, that is equated with lukewarmness which is equated with the people Jesus said he despised most. I often think, "am I despised as I live now by Christ?"

Keep the thoughts coming Nathan P.