On the last day of school, it happened twice.
The first time, I was letting children suggest activities for spending our final hours together. A boy patiently raising his hand said, "How about we just put on some Icelandic music, relax together, and do some things at our seats?"
If you know me, you know how much joy and excitement filled my heart in that moment. (And we did indeed follow his suggestion!)
Later on--in a completely separate instance, I promise--a different boy begged, "Mr. Shorb, can we dance to some Icelandic music??"
I love it!
So the fifth graders have caught on to the craze. If you've been following this blog and you still don't know what I'm referring to, I've prepared a tutorial with some of my kids' favorites:
Sigur Ros - obviously the most frequent choice. Start here, because they loved that video, then move here and then here. These guys are about beauty.
Amiina - The kids really got to liking this song after I showed them how to play the musical saw during our sound unit in science class. These gals are about instrumentation.
Mum - Another frequent choice during quiet work time. Ignore the weirdness of their stage presence in this performance, and focus on that beautiful, heart-melting melodica melody instead. These guys are about creativity.
Benni Hemm Hemm - Here's a fine place to start, as it's actually where I first found them. These guys are about youth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment