1. The other day, when assigning reading in The Phantom Tollbooth for homework, several students objected by saying, "We HATE reading this book!" We finished the book together today, and in what was supposed to be a moment of sobering and contemplative closure, students couldn't end it fast enough with obnoxious sighs of relief as if to say, "FINALLY!" Then, several of them asked immediately if they could turn the book in, as if they couldn't wait to get it out of their sight. (Of course, the ironic thing is that the whole point of the book is the transformation of a boy who starts out this way--quite hostile towards reading and learning of any sort.)
2. I put on Sufjan's Christmas music as we worked on a small project. They giggled and scoffed as soon as he came on. They called him "The Creepy Guy," I guess because that's how they felt about his whispery voice and all the oboes. Then they called him "a copycat" because he was only playing Christmas carols that he didn't write. Oooooooo, these kids know how to get on my bad side quick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am sorry that's happening! I remember being one of those kids though--any book assigned for class was automatically bad, just because I had to read it. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon.
If you want, I could make a visit and scare them. Just ask Liz.
yeah marie, i try not to let it bother me too badly. i know that 90% of it is the fact that they'll be middle schoolers next year, who disagree with absolutely everything.
chalupa, scaring them into liking sufjan might be the perfect idea. let's arrange it.
Post a Comment