With yesterday's Sabbath came good rest in the form of the first movie I have watched, stayed awake for, enjoyed, and gave full attention to in a very long while. Let's put it this way, I now know exactly how Netflix makes all the money it does: off of customers like me who are apparently too busy and too sleepy to watch any movies.The less you know about Silent Light, the better, so I'll keep it brief and vague. It's an interesting glimpse into a subculture of Mennonite farmers living in Mexico, with a story of a husband and father trying to decide what he believes and what he should do about the adultery he is committing. Oh, but it's about so much more than that!
It's long and slow, meaning it's not exactly for everyone unless you go into it with the right mindset and can settle in with its pace. But if you can embrace (or endure) that, the rewards are well, well worth it, visually and thematically. I think I can truly say of all of its quiet surprises, it's unlike anything I've ever seen before.
And at the start of this much needed new, fresh week, it made me thankful for a God of new beginnings.
No comments:
Post a Comment