I found a slip of paper in my classroom reminding me about chapel the other week. It was the morning I woke up asking God for some rest. Not so much because I woke up sleepy, but moreso because I woke up stressed out and worried.
It was one of those chapels where everyone else seemed just as oblivious as ever, or at least just a bit stiff, rigid, and mindless, and then at the same time, pretty much every word spoken was meant just for me.
The chaplain started by mentioning and paraphrasing plans to prosper you and not to harm you, for a hope and a future.
A student read, "God is our refuge and strength, an everpresent help in time of trouble."
Another read a familiar Psalm, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want...he restores my soul...I will fear no evil, for you are with me...your rod and your staff, they comfort me...Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life..."
And then a song accompanying a video: "O love that will not let me go I rest my weary soul in Thee, I give Thee back the life I owe that in thine ocean depths its flow may richer, fuller be..."
I found it easier to rest that day.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Even though people have told me that Jeremiah 29:11 is usually stated out of context, it's still one of my favorite verses. I think that if we can interpret verses written to "God's chosen people" as being written also to us, then there shouldn't be a problem with interpreting words spoken to the Hebrews exiled in Babylon (have I got that right?) the same way.
Yeeeah, it's kinda like that verse in Habakkuk that says, "Something's going to happen that you wouldn't believe even if you were told." People quote that in a really positive light (I'm gonna get that job and everything's going to be wonderful!), but the following verses talk about the complete obliteration of a nation that's going to come.
But I think you're right on with your take, but also realizing that God's idea of "prospering and not harming" is often a lot different from our own idea. By that I mean it's a promise spiritually but not necessarily physically or materially.
Post a Comment