Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pentecost 1: I have no talent at all.

The more I watch the movie Ratatouille, the more I love it, appreciate it, learn from it. This weekend I was focused on what I see as its depiction of keeping in step with the Holy Spirit.

Linguini has no talent in the kitchen, but when he makes himself available to Remy, beautiful things happen. There's that scene where they practice their partnership, awkward and messy and full of mistakes at first, but smooth and natural with time as Linguini learns to surrender control.
I've often longed for a relationship with the Holy Spirit like this one. As far as I can tell, it's not too far off Biblically, like when Christ tells his disciples not to worry about what to say because the Holy Spirit would be the one talking through them. Yes, I long to let my strong will go limp and allow the Holy Spirit to do whatever he pleases.

(Reminds me of one of my favorite Why? lyrics: "You carry God like a bouquet of balloons, Yeshua whispers in your ear your next move, 'Go on, get on that train.'")

It's not all easy, of course, as Linguini tries to learn more about this relationship. It's not easy to get the hang of it because it feels so unnatural to let go. Then there's the scene where he starts to explain to Colette, but fumbles in his awkward way knowing how insane it all sounds. (I've felt that way whenever trying to explain the Holy Spirit.) And then there are moments where Linguini gets famous and popular and starts taking all the credit for it. (Always a temptation.)

And finally, the truth comes out, and with a cost. Linguini tells his staff, "I know this sounds insane, but well, the truth sounds insane sometimes, but that doesn't mean it's not the truth. The truth is, I have no talent at all. This rat, he's the one behind the recipes. He's the cook, the real cook. He's been hiding under my toque, controlling all my actions. He's the reason I can cook the food that's exciting everyone. You've been giving me credit for his gift."

Yes, let us make ourselves available for the Holy Spirit to display his gifts, and let's give him the credit.

No comments: