When you're a young male teacher, a certain inevitable reputation comes with the job.
It's an honor feeling a bit like a celebrity in the hallways, with younger students looking up in amazement. Usually some sort of greeting comes with it, like a little wave at least, or a question for confirmation: "Are you Mister Shorb?" I love the kids that simply say what they're thinking in astonishment, "You're tall!" Or the sweethearts who--no matter what age they are--say, "I can't wait for fifth grade," or "I hope I have you for a teacher."
I love catching some by surprise, making faces at them from the hallway while they sit at their desks, or doing a little football fake-out spin-move around them as we walk towards each other.
As I walked to bus duty the other day, one sweet girl looked up and said, "Excuse me, sir?" [Their manners! I'll miss their manners!]
"Yes, ma'am?"
"Are you Mr. Shorb?"
"Yes, that's me."
"I've heard something about you moving to France?"
"Yes, what you've heard is true. I am moving there very soon."
"I'm going to miss you."
Gosh, that's one way to grab the heart of a grown man. I wanted to ask why she would miss me if she didn't know who I was, but instead I simply said thank you with a big smile, adding that I would miss all of them also.
Sunday, June 06, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment