In some recent studies these verses were pointed out from Job 38.
"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone-
while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?"
While the Creator was busy placing footings and laying cornerstones, stars were singing and angels were shouting.
In other words, he put on some music before getting to work.
You know how Billy Collins likes to put on jazz when he writes his poetry? Or how Andy Warhol liked hanging out with The Velvet Underground so much? Or how the construction workers next door set their beat up radio dial to the classic rock station? Or the farmers blast country music in the pickup? Or grandma hums a hymn as she peels carrots at the sink?
Could it be that whistling while we work is ingrained in our very nature, part of being created in the image of the First Creator? When we insist on putting on some music before getting to work, could it be it's because that's exactly what He did at the very beginning of time?
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I personally like singing a little Bob Marley..."three little birds, each by my door steep, singing sweet songs, a melody pure and sweet......." as the sun rises over the golf course!
Exactly!
And every time I mow the lawn I think of how much creativity--or at least creative energy--goes into maintaining a golf course!!
(And in case you can't hear my tone through cyberspace, I'm dead serious in saying that.)
Post a Comment