I've been trying to devote myself to the book of Philippians lately. And as I've already alluded to, I'm finding it to be a bit surprising. It's not quite the book I thought it was, and I'm afraid it's not the book the average Christian thinks it is. It's been a case study in some seriously out-of-context verses. I'll give just two examples, though there are several more in this book alone.
The most serious offender? Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
We've heard just about everyone quote this verse as some sort of positive self-talk to get through some difficult circumstance. And taken on its own, it very quickly becomes a tool of the likes of Mr. Osteen, a believe-it-and-you-can-achieve-it sort of mantra. Simply put, the focus is on "doing all things" instead of on "through him who strengthens me." I really don't think that was Paul's intent.
The context? Financial hardship and God's provision. It's NOT performing some astounding miracle or overcoming the odds. It's just talking about being content with whatever you have. (Tell that to Mr. Osteen!)
And it's here we can realize that getting the context straight is only in rare cases something reserved for scholars and their proficient knowledge of Biblical times. Getting the context is often as simple as reading the verses before and after. Phil 4:11-13 "...I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
In other words, Paul's "secret" in all financial situations is finding one's sufficiency not in money, food, clothing, and resources, but in Christ alone.
Another example?
Phil 4:4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
Some verses taken out of context become seriously and dangerously distorted, like the first example. Others, like this one, just lose some of their original intent, making them a little less powerful or meaningful.
When people quote these verses, it's usually when they're having a bad day or when something is bringing them anxiety, weighing them down, a situation that's burdensome. I don't think that's particularly inappropriate or incorrect in this case, but again, as always, it's helpful to see the context -- just by reading the verses before and after.
The context is interpersonal conflict. Phil 4:2-3 "I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together..."
There is some sort of serious disagreement going on that's threatening to bring division. As you work through this conflict, seeking to mend relationships, Paul says, "Rejoice, be reasonable, keep praying, rely on God, seek his peace..." And even further, he goes on to say in verse 8, "Think about the things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and praiseworthy."
All of a sudden these verses aren't just verses to get us through a bad day, they are verses that command us to pursue others and intentionally reconcile and restore relationships. And it's probably in those situations--when what we really want to do is run the other way and insist on our self-righteousness--that we need this reminder most. Instructions for preserving instead of destroying, constructing instead of destructing.
When we take verses out of context and force them to apply where they simply don't fit, we invert God's Word, putting ourselves at the center. Instead of it telling us how to live, we tell it what to tell us. It becomes a band-aid fixing the external instead of a remedy curing the heart. In so doing, we rob it of its transforming power and robust glory.
Saturday, November 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment