Monday, May 21, 2012

The (not as) New Guy, 8

We walked into the hospital for the first time in a long time today, taking the other kid to his pediatrician. Driving up, I said, "Man, you remember this place? It's been a while."

She kinda shrugged it off as if to say, "Don't remind me." But I insisted, "No, think of all we did here in our first six months. Kinda makes me a little proud. Exhausted, but proud."

Sitting in the hall waiting for the doctor was nonstop flashbacks.

"Remember the first time we came for an ultrasound and the kid spilled his entire cup of orange juice all over the floor by the reception desk and 'jus d'orange' was pretty much the only thing we knew how to say and then later he and I got kicked out of the ultrasound because he couldn't keep quiet enough for the overparticular technician and so instead he just wailed right outside her office door?"

Labor preparation courses.
Emergency heart scan when I passed out. (That's a story that still needs to be told here. Or not.)
Visiting the maternity ward.
False labor.
Real labor.
Going to the ER for a sinus infection.
Going to ER for a supposed collapsed lung, chest x-ray.
Being well-known by the ER staff.
Our comical elderly high-pitched franglais mumbling pediatrician.

And so. much. more.

I can't say we'll miss the place, but it sure holds an awful lot of (now) comical stories (and sure, some just downright traumatic) and a big sense of accomplishment...

No comments: