Saturday, June 09, 2012

Family Music

Music is often a part of our family gatherings. A lot of times we keep it civilized and find ways to play together, sing together, dance together, but there are of course plenty of heated debates as well.

For example:
Mark and I could argue endlessly over Sufjan Stevens, usually a conversation that just ends abruptly with something like, "You just don't understand art."

My brother and his daughter have been known to debate who has more artistic merit, U2 or Justin Bieber, usually a conversation that just ends abruptly with something like, "They're all old, and not one of my friends likes them."

But I just received the following video from my brother, always looking for ways to bring the family together, with this note:
Can't we all just get along?
Merging Mark's love of pop music, Nate's love of ridiculous instruments, Heather's love of quirkiness and Taylor's love of top 40. You guys may have finally found common ground.


I will readily admit I have no idea who Carly Rae Jepsen is and this is my first time hearing this song "Call Me Maybe." I don't care, I'm on board. It might have something to do with the fact that I already own the majority of these instruments and I know the sheer delight of using them to play songs like this with a group of friends.

Well executed, Jimmy. Thanks, Roots. And Carly Rae, I'm fairly certain this is the height of your career, so enjoy it.


As for my brother using the word "ridiculous" to describe these instruments? Well, I prefer the word "charming," but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant, you know, like ridiculous in the endearing usage of the word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you've obviously only been in the ol' us for a few days if you haven't been crazy by the constant radio play of this tune.

this is well done...it has redeemed the track for me. and you can't go too wrong with the roots.