Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Conquering Fears in 2013

Nobody visits the Arc de Triomphe by car. At least no one in their right mind does. There's a good reason.
 It's called Place de l'Etoile. Place of the Star. Not because it creates a quaint little 5 point star, but rather a 12 point star. And when TomTom the GPS says, "Enter the round about, then take the 17th exit..." things just get a little overwhelming.

For two years straight I've avoided it (and most round points like it) at all costs. But we drove into the city and I began to realize pretty early on just exactly where it was taking me. Not sure how to avoid it this time around, reactions ranged from nervous laughter to determined self-talk.
Heart began pounding. Palms sweating. When my jaw wasn't clenched tight, I began talking more loudly and excitedly. Screamed a little bit.
Got closer. Motorcycle rally all of a sudden surrounds my car, passing me on both sides.
Was reminded of one of our supporters who visited last year. When returning her rental car, much to her dismay, the GPS took her on the same route. As I entered, I yelled to myself, "IF SHE CAN DO IT, SO CAN I...."
E helped watch my passenger side blind spot a bit (when not documenting my panic). Bicycles doing n'importe quoi. Taxis. Honks and beeps. Limousine. Late decision to exit. It wasn't pretty, but it was a success, soon just a thing to spy in the rearview mirror. I laughed. No big deal.
It was a great way to start 2013. Now only thing left to ask is: what next?

3 comments:

Kayla Muth said...

I figure if you can conquer this, then I can conquer New York City traffic tonight. Thanks for the laugh and I'm very happy for your success :)

banksy said...

you are courageous...(as much as this post tries to prove the opposite).

you are courageous...(and that has little to do with the fact that you drove around the arc).

nateshorb said...

et voilà the real reason i was posting this. it had been too long since i heard those words.