Tuesday, November 05, 2013

harlem nocture

The metro doors closed and a man who had slipped in began playing the song on his sax. It took just a few seconds to recognize and all of a sudden I was no longer in the Paris metro, but on a high school auditorium stage, swinging hard in the background with our award-winning saxophonist wailing up front.

The version in the metro and the versions on YouTube tell me there are a lot of mediocre versions out there, but the one in my mind remains the best-ever-of-all-time-hands-down. We were all incredibly proud of Travis--who doubled as the sax player in our ska band--but we were just as proud to be a part, to play along. Because when we played, we were no longer on a high school auditorium stage, but on the nighttime streets of Harlem.


1 comment:

Heather said...

you really know how to paint a picture with your words. Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was there. In that auditorium.