Thursday, April 10, 2014

(The Extravagant Voyage of) The Young and Prodigious TS Spivet

How could humans create so many right angles when their behavior is so convoluted and illogical ?

Due to limited brain space, my movie reviews are being reduced to the one quote I retain from the movie. I'm just glad I have the brain space to watch the movies, because I had been going through quite the dry spell there.

I will add a few sentences on this one. It's a half-decent film with a mostly interesting heart-tugging look at the way grief affects families. But what's ashame is that it was lacking Jeunetness, the bursting-with-life absurdity and love for the little things that we see elsewhere from this director. Sure, there was some absurdity, but it was all muted and sleepy. I blame about 80% of it on the hokey back porch of the ranch soundtrack, 10% on entrusting all the film's narration to a child, and the remaining percentage to other factors. In the end, we're left feeling just about as numb as the characters in the film, but I doubt that was the intent. They have a much more legitimate reason to feel that way than we do. And it's too bad.

No comments: