Friday, September 19, 2014

Hasta Mañana

Je suis entré dans une église. C'était la première fois. Wow. Impressionant.

We went to see this little indie film in town last night, to see the directors and an actor talk about it afterwards. One of the two directors just turned 18, and if I understand correctly he's become the youngest film director in the history of French cinema...but maybe I didn't understand correctly.

It was not a film that blew me away, but it was a really enjoyable community experience. The audience was, for some reason, nombreux and really enthusiastic. And as the credits rolled I learned these young bucks appear to be Christians. I loved witnessing their idealism, their big dreams and the pursuit of them, and a promising start to a much longer career. A cynical world, me included, often scorns such naiveté, but if we let go of our own vicious insecurities that too often keep us from trying, something about it becomes quite contagious. And it's all a lot easier, as the film's story and directing team show, if you've got a good friend who is advocating for you every step of the way.

What if each of us had a friend like that? What if each of us could be a friend like that?

No comments: