Wednesday, March 08, 2006

In each of my math classes, I have given the students folders that they use for all of their math-related papers and such. My original rule was, “NO WRITING ON THE FOLDERS!!!” But I quickly found that there was no good way to enforce a rule that tried to keep bored students from doodling.

So, now that students have covered their folders with all sorts of drawings and writings and whathaveyou, I have found several things to laugh at.

In the middle of her folder, one girl has written “Don’t Hate!” which, if you're out of touch with the urban community, is a popular saying with these kids. But then, off in the corner of the folder, she wrote, “I Hate Math Class!”

Another girl, in large, sassy letters, wrote “Additude” an underlined it several times for extra emphasis. I’m giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming it’s a clever and witty play on words keeping the subject matter of the class in mind.

No comments: