Yesterday we had a field trip across the street and I wore a sweater instead of a coat. One boy told me I looked like I was ready for an Old Navy commercial. While this would typically be a compliment (I think), he made it clear that it was meant to be an insult. The ironic thing was he was wearing a sweat shirt that said OLD NAVY in large letters. Another boy called it a grandma sweater.
Then finally, another boy decided to stick up for me. In front of all the other boys he said, “Mister, that sweater is tight. Seriously, it’s a tight sweater, mister.” “Well, thank you,” I said, feeling much better about myself at that point. (For those of you who are not hip to the urban slang, “tight” is a synonym for “hot” or “bangin” or “mad hot” or “mad bangin” or “off da hook” or “mad off da hook.” [I made that last one up.])
But today, the sweater came up again, and the last boy made it clear that he was using the word “tight” in its most common form, meaning it didn’t fit, and he was in fact making fun of me in a very underhanded way with a clever play on words. I would even go as far as saying it was brilliant, but I know how this kid does in math class and I can't give him that much credit.
Today, with it being casual Friday, I wore jeans and one of those collared cotton casual shirts. All day I received terrible reactions towards my shirt, with kids saying it didn’t fit and it was too small and it looked gross and whathaveyou. I finally realized that when you have your shirt tucked in, they can’t say much. But if you have your shirt untucked, as I did today, they think it looks absolutely ridiculous when it doesn’t hang down to your knees and the sleeves don’t hang down to your wrists.
My self-esteem is plummeting.
In other news, the new Sufjan album has been announced. Prepare for a July listening party.
I think I had a dream the other night about receiving a nose hair trimmer as a gift for something or other. It was exciting. It would be for a Shorb.
Friday, April 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
if you wear that red shirt with the dog wagging its tail on the back i'm pretty sure you'd get some respect...or just any of your iron cobra stuff.
Post a Comment