Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I've been listening to the new Richard Swift album, which can be streamed at Secretly Canadian. It's really quite wonderful. Yes, I love it. Check it out. Jared's sending it to me on vinyl soon, for which I am excited, and which also reminds me I still need to send you some $$, Jared, which I'll be sure to do. Speaking of Secretly Canadian and Jared...Jared's gonna be the new forklift driver for the SC warehouse, everyone! Be sure to stop by Village Green Records before March 31st and congratulate him and wish him well!

I gave Arcade Fire's Neon Bible its first two full listens tonight. It is also pretty incredible. I've heard several people compare some of the songs to Bruce Springsteen, and holy moly, they weren't kidding. But, yes, it's decent. Check it out.

3 comments:

jamin said...

I can honestly say I was bored out of my mind with Neon Bible.

It almost makes me dislike Funeral.

That's how much I didn't like it.

But goodness I do love that Richard Swift album. That's what you get for having a friend with a good taste in music, a record store, and a credible opinion while recommending albums to by without a listen.

I salute you, Jared Cheek.

Chalupa said...

I got Neon Bible off emusic and have listened to it once so far. I'd have to say I'm a fan too.

nateshorb said...

well, the first time i heard funeral, i wasn't impressed either. but i've come to understand why music critics are calling it the greatest thing since the last greatest thing.

a read an article comparing funeral to OK Computer...where it's just sort of an epic album, one that is incredibly defining in all sorts of ways. where you would typically hope a band would build or improve on their past success, in this case, funeral is what it is, it can't be built on or improved on, and thus the arcade fire is what they are.

i don't know what i'm talking about.

but here's my observation...funeral was amazing in its epicness...moments that made you feel like you were standing in the middle of a crowd of people singing along at the top of your lungs. neon bible, on the other hand, is amazing in its subtleties...there are little, simple things, whether it's a bass line or a hand clap or a melody or other little ingenious moments that just seem to make me smile and nod and get excited.

that's what i think.

so dont give up on it just yet.