Saturday, March 03, 2007

This morning, in my continual quest to remain culturally relevant, especially with my gangsta students, Wes and some friends taught me what it means to "Ghost Ride the Whip," something that has apparently been all the rage recently, especially in the underground hip-hop and YouTube circuits.

For those of you who, like me, don't know what ghost-riding the whip consists of, allow me to explain. A car full of people puts on some loud hip-hop music, the driver puts the car in drive, and as it is moving everyone jumps out, dances, jumps on and off the car, and eventually gets back in before crashing into anything. It really is quite a thrill. (Wikipedia provides further explanation behind the phenomenon.)

I quickly learned the number one rule of ghost-riding: for those that are forgetting about the law of inertia, keep in mind at all times that you are moving and the ground is not. Therefore, when you jump off the car, it is not a good idea to plant your feet, as the top half of your body will then continue to move while the bottom of your half stays planted. This is how I quickly wiped out on the pavement in my second attempt of ghost riding. Thus, always a good idea to jump with your feet moving.

Be careful out there.

Speaking of relating to my students...do you think I'd be allowed to wear THIS on casual Fridays? It's pretty great, suits me pretty perfectly, and I'm pretty sure my kids would love it. They would laugh and laugh and probably say, as they often do, "You so white, mista!"

1 comment:

jamin said...

http://www.ghostridethewhipblog.blogspot.com/

I'm so ungansta and so behind the times.

I just can't get enough.