Sunday, January 20, 2008

no need to prolong it any further................. my top 10 of 2007

There's a long list of movies from 2007 I'm still waiting to see that could very likely affect this list (ie: THERE WILL BE BLOOD, AWAY FROM HER, KING OF KONG, SUNSHINE, THIS IS ENGLAND, THE SAVAGES, DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY, ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES, MY KID COULD PAINT THAT, GREAT WORLD OF SOUND, PERSEPOLIS...to name just a few) but it could very well be June by the time all of them arrive from Netflix. No need to leave all of you anxiously awaiting that long.

I typically only do a top five, mostly due to the fact that I'm only able to see about 20 movies in a year, but for some reason I'm feeling a top 10 fits this year. At the same time, slots 6-10 are the ones likely to change as more of these movies are seen. Regardless, here we go:

10. Dan in Real Life
I loved how it presented an interesting perspective of family dynamics: warmth, love and support with simultaneous feelings of isolation and loneliness.

9. God Grew Tired of Us
A remarkable story that left me close to tears for the remainder of the day, thankful for a home and a wife and the many other provisions so easily accessible.

8. American Gangster
Who's good and who's bad? A compelling character study and riveting story.

7. No Country for Old Men
Left me depressed for a few days, but an amazingly well-done film with heart-pounding cinematography.

6. The Darjeeling Limited
Putting Darjeeling Limited at number 6 tells you this is "my favorite" of 2007 rather than the "best of" 2007. I really enjoyed this in a year when not many people did. Although I do wonder, if this were Wes Anderson's only film, and critics had nothing else to judge him against, what would the reaction be then? And that being said, is it fair to judge a film by comparing it to its close relatives? I don't know if it is or not...just thinking out loud here.

5. Paris Je T'aime

Of course this one holds a special place in our lives, as it was released while we were living in Paris. But this is a wonderful celebration of a fantastic city. To find so many creative minds working in one place is a true, rare gem, and really the most fitting way to pay tribute to a place like Paris. But even if Paris Je T'aime was only made up of Alexander Payne's closing film, I have a feeling it would still be at #5.

4. Juno
The more I think about it and discuss it, the less I like it. (That is to say, had I made my list right after I saw it, it probably would have been at #1.) But it's still a wonderful little triumph of a movie.

3. Lars and the Real Girl
The opposite of Juno, the more I think about it and discuss it, the more I like it. The first viewing caught me off guard, I think, so I can't wait to see it again. It's brilliant in so many ways, perhaps mostly in the way it puts you exactly in the shoes of the characters in the film. You are just as skeptical as they are about this visitor who has arrived in town, and by the end of it, you love her just as much as they do, and are just as much attached as they are, and you walk away from the movie feeling just as weird and embarrassed because of it. And if there was one thing I could change about my church today, it would be that we'd show this movie to our congregation instead of Facing the Giants.

2. Into the Wild
A wonderful accomplishment of a film that reinforced so many feelings that have been on the forefront of my mind in the past year.

1. Ratatouille
Well, well, well. All of you thought Nate Shorb couldn't like a movie that was not only popular but animated on top of it. You thought wrong. When a popular movie is good, I'll like it, and boy do I like this one. I saw it a few weeks ago and it hasn't left my mind since. I picked up my own copy yesterday and can't wait to watch it again. It's a perfectly told, creative story, and whenever stories are perfectly told and creative, there are layers and layers of meaning. There is more than meets the eye in this little animated flick. Madeleine L'Engle always insisted she never intended to write children's books, but rather, children were the only ones with big enough imaginations to embrace her stories that were otherwise intended for audiences of all ages. I'd say the same thing to anyone labeling Ratatouille as a children's movie.
Honorable Mentions:
* Knocked Up for its intelligent albeit raunchy comedy, thoughtful social commentary, and surprisingly redemptive storyline
* Once for its simplistic and heartfelt beauty

3 comments:

Neville said...

Need I remind you about a little email you sent me in June while I was still in China...about the best film of 2007.....hmmm? It didn't even make the top ten? You're way too influenced by people. :) Are you sure it doesn't deserve more than a little after-number-one mention?

And loved the list. I agree EXACTLY about JUNO. More on that later. I think it's one you see once and it's so wonderful you just have to cherish that moment. Later, it goes away (if you see it again). The first time is the best.

nateshorb said...

Well, I had to search my email, but you're totally right. Point taken.

So, everyone, as proven in an email dated June 8, 2007, Knocked Up was supposed to be my number one movie of 2007. Or, it should at least appear in the top ten, as six months of movies isn't enough to bump something down 10 slots.

Maybe it's because I'm still filled with tension about Apatow and his movies. A little bit of conviction grew in those 6 months.

Maybe it was the Sunday school class I taught on "coarse joking."

But maybe I should stick with my heart.

OK, so, if I'm allowed to retract my list, it should go like this:

10. Dan in Real Life
9. American Gangster
8. No Country for Old Men
7. Darjeeling Limited
6. Paris Je T'aime
5. Knocked Up
4. Juno
3. Lars
2. Into the Wild
1. Ratatouille

What can I say? I made the list in a haste.

But the real question is, do Juno and Knocked Up belong together side by side? Which is better? It's a tough call.

I think I have to say that Juno is better, as it doesn't quite resort to the levels of humor Knocked Up does.

Chalupa said...

Still haven't seen Ratatouille. Everybody is saying it was awesome. I'll have to netflix it after it's out on dvd.