Monday, February 11, 2008

Fever Dreams

Nothing's worse than the dreams that come with a fever.

On Friday night I came down with something terrible that, in my best estimation, slightly resembled malaria, although that might just be my tendency of being melodramatic.

All night I had a high-stress dream of being involved in some sort of political debate, undoubtedly triggered by an earlier in-depth discussion of politics earlier that evening with the friends we were visiting. I can't say what exactly I was in charge of or what was being argued, but there was a lot of money involved and some big decisions to be made and we were going back and forth. I tossed and turned with every single argument and counterargument. Even after waking, the second I fell back asleep was the second the arguments continued.

On Saturday night, I had another high-stress dream where I was given the responsibility of being in charge of some sort of informational database resembling Wikipedia. I was in charge of receiving all sorts of information on all sorts of topics from all sorts of sources, and I had to somehow sort and organize it all. By the morning, though, after several hours of many other topics, I was able to focus purely on the Sufjan Stevens article, of course, and was relieved to at least be in charge of a topic I was interested in.

The only break I got from that dream was when the No Doubt concert that my church was hosting had to be canceled because of a tornado warning.

Last night was a bit more peaceful. The only thing I can remember is checking out at a dollar store that did not carry Tylenol but did carry a few other things I apparently needed. Come to think of it, I think I was buying some high-powered flashlights to search for my brother who was lost in the mountains. When I tried to pay with my credit card, the cashier told me he didn't know how to do it because he hadn't been trained yet. I tried figuring it out on my own, but when a pile of parking tickets came out of the machine instead of a receipt, I decided to take advantage of the situation, let him deal with it, and went on my way.

So I'm on a sick day today, which, assuming I return tomorrow, will give me a 3-day week this week and a 3-day week next week (because of President's Day weekend). Maybe this malarial fever isn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you see this yet?
better stock up!