Thursday, October 21, 2010

On a Lighter Note

1. I ate a Pink Lady apple today for the first time. Pretty sure it was the best apple I've ever eaten. I want to describe it as "fruity" but that doesn't make much sense since an apple is already a fruit. But seriously, it had a sort of crazy grapefruit taste to it or something. And apples in North Carolina are super crisp. Seriously.

2. Tonight I watched a praying mantis attack a daddy-long-legger then proceed to eat it immediately. It was fascinating and exhilarating. Coolest insects ever, hands down. Proof that God is the originator of sci-fi. I feel weird being this excited about it.
(That's a katydid in the back, another wild creature, whom we expect to find dead in the morning.)

4 comments:

0rangey said...

Pink Lady apples are pretty much the only ones worth eating, if you ask me. Not that you did, but still. They are. Glad you've discovered them. Is it NC apples that are crisp? If so, I have to get down there. But since I don't have the time to get down there before the season ends, I am hoping that it's a freshness/strain issue. For instance, Red Delicious: never delicious.

Praying mantises are super cool.

Anonymous said...

Whose that cute little guy digging in the apples?? Looks like he got another haircut! In 2 nights we'll be in "your state", closer, but not close enough!
ys

Unknown said...

I have to agree, Pink Ladies rock! For me I think it's more of a tartness combined with a sweet fruity flavor. But also the texture...not gritty or sandy or mushy. Up here they are out of season, replaced by "honey crisps" in the grocery store. Not the same at all.

Nancy T said...

Yep I'm a lover of Pink Ladies too. They are the bestest apple ever!
God Bless