Goodbyes make you try to say everything you've always wanted to say. There's a sense of urgency. So I wrote a letter to my elders on two minor points. It was mostly a letter of exhortation towards matters close to my heart.
I exhorted my brother-in-law the other week. He happens to also be my pastor. He said, "When did you start exhorting people?" I treated it as a rhetorical question.
But we received a letter from a friend recently that felt like exhortation. And it felt good. And it made me realize how much we need exhortation, and how rarely we get it.
And I wondered how much of that lack of exhortation is because now we've earned the title of "missionaries." Like we don't need it anymore and we should be the ones giving it.
But I will tell you now, if that's the common train of thought, it's ridiculous.
Hebrews 3:13 "But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called 'today,' that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."
We know all too well that leaders are not immune to hardening or the deceitfulness of sin. So don't they need exhortation just as much--if not, more--than the rest of us? And isn't it our job as parishioners to give it to them?
So, go exhort someone, even if it's a leader of yours. They might not like it at first because they're not used to getting it. But don't worry, they'll get used to it. And don't forget they need it.
My sister read the letter to the elders since she is an elder's wife. She said she loves how "bold" I am getting. I guess I just kind of wish that exhortation would be a normal part of life together and not something that requires "boldness."
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So much to pack into those 'final days'... Thanks for this exhortation to exhort! Looks like a good take on 'speaking the truth in love' that's so vital to good community.
Post a Comment