The French word for the verb "to worry" is s'inquiéter.
So that makes me look up the English word "inquietude" which my dictionary defines as "physical or mental restlessness or disturbance," sure enough taken from Old French or Late Latin for a lack of quiet.
When I first saw it I got really excited, because have you ever heard a more perfectly beautiful and truthful description of worry? It's something that disrupts our sense of peace, rest, stillness, quiet.
And that, in my mind, immediately registers a whole list of scriptures based on those words---being still to know that He is God or God is in his holy temple let us all be silent or Peace I leave with you, peace I give you---and compare that with Christ's blunt questioning:
"Qui de vous, par ses inquiétudes, peut ajouter une coudée à la durée de sa vie?"
Who of you, by his inquietude, can add a cubit to the duration of his life?
We make a lot of noise on our own, in our worries, with our anxieties, and what good does it do us?
Saturday, March 05, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment