Thursday, March 16, 2006

Erica just gave me a haircut she was rather proud of. As soon as she stepped out of the bathroom, I took it upon myself to trim up my sideburns with the clippers. Let me preface this by saying sideburns are something I've never really understood. Either mine grow in differently than everybody else's, or I just don't understand them in general; I missed the boat somewhere along the line. Well, let's just say I misjudged the attachment I was using, and pretty much took off my right sideburn completely, dug into the above-the-ear hair as well, and also somehow gave myself something similar to the lines of Vanilla Ice or Jamin's new style. When Erica heard me spouting Christian curse words, she came in and was nearly brought to tears. Needless to say, the haircut turned out much shorter than we both originally intended.

Another topic. I've been wondering lately, what's the correct response to the knock on the door when you're using the bathroom? Every time I'm in the bathroom, I get really scared someone is going to knock on the door. Sometimes people knock and I completely ignore them for lack of a good response. Pretty much anything you say sounds really strange and awkward. Greetings, such as "Hello!" are just plain odd. Shouting something like "Occupied!" or "It's in use!" seem a little rude or peculiar or nerdy at the very least. "Who is it?" is about as good as an inquisitve "Yes?" and both are out of the picture. "Just a minute!" is probably the best I can come up with, but that makes it sound like you're in the middle of something, rushing to finish, which can become uncomfortable rather easily as well. Suggestions?

No, but seriously, I'm looking for some advice on this one.

2 comments:

Chalupa said...

I usually say, "Just a minute" which never really quite seems appropriate. The really awkward times are in gas station bathrooms when the door doesn't really lock and gets opened up on you. I haven't come up with a pattened response to that one yet.

nateshorb said...

yes, total horror is a good way of putting it. i just freeze up and end up saying nothing.

"just washing up" made me laugh quite a bit.

"be right out!" is a good one i thought of, although it could usually be a lie as well, which forces you to hurry.

maybe i'll just start yelling, "Look, I'll be honest, it's gonna be a little while, and after that it will probably be a little while before you want to come in here."