Here’s a recap of last week:
The 7th grade social studies teacher told one of his classes whom I also teach that I have my black belt in karate. He told them that I was trained to kill six people in less than 30 seconds. They apparently argued over whether it was true or not. Most of them don’t believe it, but one boy keeps asking me about it. He asked where I received my training. I told him Japan. He keeps asking very tough questions, and I’ve weaseled my way out of most of them, but if he keeps asking, he’s bound to uncover the truth sooner or later.
One boy, a small and skinny pre-pubescent somewhat nerdy white boy, entered the classroom and asked me how I was doing. I said, “Never better. This is the best day of my life.” He said to his peers, “Whoa! Mister said this was the best day of his life! He must’ve had his first kiss today!” It was a very odd statement, and with it coming from this kid who I’m sure truly does equate the two, it made me giggle quite hard in front of the whole class.
In a team-meeting, we were discussing which kids from every class should receive a certain award for attitude and effort. I was vetoing every kid on account of their poor attitudes in my class. Finally, one of the student teachers gave her two cents and said, “Maybe it’s just you.” I agreed that it WAS just me, but for the rest of the day I walked through the halls thinking to myself, “Maybe it IS just me,” and that maybe things are so tough just because I’m a crappy teacher and I’m not cut out for this and on and on.
On Friday, for some reason, partially due to the shirt I was wearing and how it was tucked in, and maybe partially because of some back pain, and maybe partially because of how much I had eaten the night before, my infamous-yet-mysteriously-elusive gut was quite visible. It was noticeably protruding, so much so that I think I had at least five kids in EVERY class comment on it. Some kids told me I was getting fat. Some kids asked me if I was drinking too much beer. Some kids had the audacity to hit it as they walked past me. It’s a tough life being a skinny fat man and working with middle schoolers.
Here is a recap of the weekend:
It was an amazing weekend, actually, and while nobody likes a play-by-play blog post, I think this weekend warrants one.
Erica, Wesley and I went down to Philadelphia. While Erica visited some college friends, Wes and I successfully used the public transportation system (it was my first time using it in Philly) to get to the Khyber to see Ester Drang and Metal Hearts. It was a really great show. Metal Hearts are a new band on Suicide Squeeze. They are pretty innovative and a breath of fresh air and I suggest you check them out. They are playing shows every single night of the month, so look them up.
At the show Wes and I observed a rather old looking reserved man with a funny bow tie and one of those newspaperboy hats that old men wear. I assumed he was either a father of one of the musicians or a college professor checking out the scene. He was rather out of place, but he kept a low profile, that is, until Ester Drang started playing. Just before they started, he began yelling, “YEEEEEAAAH! DO IT, GUYS! DO IT!” He continued to yell all throughout the show, and we are talking from-the-diaphragm-gut-wrenching-football-game-meat-head yells, complete with over-the-head clapping. So, perhaps he WAS a mad professor, but he was obviously Ester Drang’s biggest fan.
So that was Friday night. Saturday brought lunch at a Chinese buffet, dinner at the mom-and-pop Italian restaurant, and Walk the Line, which I fell asleep for (no surprise there.)
On Sunday, Erica and I drove back to Philly for the Sixers game, and we were turned into big sports fans for the day. They played the Pacers and blew it, losing by one point in a very ant-climactic and disappointing game. We both hate Chris Webber. NBA basketball is mostly very boring, and live games aren’t as exciting as you might think. But we had a fun time nonetheless. .....SPORTS!!!
We finished the weekend off with Bible study at Mark and Heathers, and there you have it, a magnificent weekend indeed.
I got Anathallo’s new CD and the Javelins split in the mail today from Jamin the sweetheart. We’re hoping for a Saturday listening party. I can’t waaaaaait.
Hope you are well. Come visit.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like the fact that you're a blackbelt now. Please don't hurt me.
Post a Comment