And with that, the kids are off on their summer vacation full of video games and tv and swimming pools and bike rides and no good, and the teachers are set to embark on the recuperation process after another day and a half of meetings.
And what a year it has been. The feeling of dread was a familiar one, one that started the minute I hung up the phone and accepted the job. The feeling of exhaustion and weariness were also familiar.
In fact, summing up the entire year in one cute little blog post is a task too daunting for this quick visit to the library. It was a long roller coaster ride, the worse part of the year that has earned the title of "the best and worst year of my life."
But I want to thank you, the people who have rooted me on, prayed for me, who were depressed with me then and who are excited with me now. To know that I have had the support of so many people is humbling; it is one of things--the other things not being so positive, such as threats and rocks to the face and disrespect and whathaveyou--that has brought tears to my eyes more than once over the past 10 months. It is one of the things that has brought me through. So thanks.
And it was good today to sit in an assembly that recognized student after student for their accomplishments. Granted, none of the students were mine, but it was good to know that there ARE some students acheiving and succeeding in my school. If I had known that earlier in the year, it would have helped my outlook a little more. And as the year-in-review video played, I got chills several times, being proud and honored to be a part of something like this, even though, ironically, it is something I have hated so much at times.
I spent a prep period last week printing out the best of the 170 referrals I wrote this year. I showed them to several friends last night, and they got a very good laugh. So, I am looking to publish them. A possible title could be My First Year of Teaching: I Thought I Owned the Effing School. I could pass it on to senior education majors to give them a proper warning.
And to think that after all of this, I would be not only planning on returning to the same school, but saying to people, "I'm looking forward to next year!" That, friends, is not much short of a miracle. I like teaching when I am able to look at kids and smile, seeing them as being full of life and character, getting joy from who they are. Those moments were more frequent in recent months.
All of that being said, today was the end of the schoolyear, and Sunday was the end of the better part of "the best and worst year of my life." Yes, Erica and I have been married for one year, which is extremely difficult to believe. It's been a good year because of her, and the past week has been one of much rejoicing for me, knowing that not only am I done with school, but I have this amazing woman in my life to whom much of the credit of my survival is due. I think of her and a smile comes to my face.
So. What a year it's been. A lot has been learned. And I wish I could pause time for a few moments just to bask in this sense of liberating accomplishment and pure joy, but one thing this year has taught me is that time keeps rolling along at a rate faster than most of us can handle. So I guess I must rejoice while moving on to whatever is coming next.
Come visit us and celebrate!
I will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
My soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their cry;
The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
A righteous man may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all...
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment