I just returned from watching IRAQ IN FRAGMENTS in Allentown, which was nominated by the Academy for Best Documentary this year. I never thought a movie could have photography as stunning as NOBODY KNOWS, but IRAQ IN FRAGMENTS just might have done it. And it's a documentary, no less! It was absolutely beautiful. As for the subject matter, the state of Iraq is complex and confusing even if you know what's going on. If you're not as informed, like, say, me, for example, it's even more complex, confusing, and completely frustrating. But it was a beautifully done intimate portrait from three points of view, an enlightening snapshot, a rare opportunity. And in my opinion, it finally calls us to stop pointing fingers and shifting blame and simply pause and mourn all that has happened. As one Iraqi man said, history should not hold us back and drag us down any longer; we must learn our lessons and press forward.
In other news, the side streets in Bethlehem remain in absolutely treacherous condition, which is nothing new and nothing that will be fixed; we must simply wait for the sun to show up and do its job. In related news, something happened to my car in the middle of all this snow, and now when I reach 45 miles per hour, the car shakes violently. And I'm not talking about the shaking I mentioned to my student at 70 mph, no, that's more of a rattle in comparison, a mere shiver. No, these are convulsions of pretty frightening proportions. Gonna have to get that checked out sooner than later. Maybe I'll call Car Talk.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
About your car, it may be that a lot of snow and ice is frozen solid up around your wheels, brakes, etc. The same thing happened to me on my way to work this morning. And the shaking was pretty violent, I thought my tires were about to fall off! Give it a few days to melt away and hopefully you'll be alright. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Post a Comment