I have fallen out of blogging-mode. I thought it could never happen. But in the past few days when I've thought about how long it's been since I've consistently posted here, a tiny little voice said to me, "Maybe it's the end of blogging for you..."
Get behind me Satan!
I have started my year at my new school. As expected, the new environment is absolutely, completely, 100% different, the complete opposite of my past teaching experience. The kids arrived on Wednesday, so we've had 3 days with them. It's a sharp learning curve and plenty to adjust to, so much so that I stayed at school past 6:00 three nights in a row, but once we get used to all that I think it will be a great experience.
Because these students will be a little more web-savvy and a little brighter in regards to finding things on the web, and because their parents are considerably more involved in their lives and education, and because it's much easier to get fired at a private school, you won't be hearing as many stories from my workplace here anymore. And let's be honest, there really won't be as much to talk about. Who wants to hear about darling little children who are extremely polite and excited to learn? That doesn't make blogging material! Booooring.
I have a feeling that, instead, you'll be finding more reflections of a spiritual nature here like you've seen recently. I've been tossing around the idea of writing articles for some publications. I've always had dreams of being a writer, and I think that might be the easiest place to start for the type of writing I enjoy. So this might become a sort of a brainstorming forum for me, or a sounding board of sorts. We'll see.
Does that mean I'll lose all of my faithful readers who would much prefer to read about my misfortune as a tortured teacher over spiritual musings?
You tell me, I suppose.
But recently Erica asked how many people read my blog, and I told her I'd never hooked up a sitemeter program to know. This surprised her. But I've always said from the very beginning that this blog was for me. A place to document and create and reflect and think. The idea of sharing with others is motivation to do so, which is why I blog instead of journal. But ultimately, it's just a therapeutic place for me to do something I need to do.
Anyway, now that I've bored you to death, can I tell you how wonderful yesterday was?
I began teaching an adult Sunday school class on the book of Ephesians. It was a little frightening standing in front of 40-or-so adults of all ages and backgrounds and experiences, but it went really well and I got some good feedback. I am honored to have such an opportunity, and I was glad it went so well.
Then the church service was really good. I hope I'm not offending anyone here, but our church services tend to be pretty hit-and-miss. Yesterday was definitely a hit.
Then after church since it was the most perfectly beautiful day you've ever seen with clear blue skies and a perfect temperature, Erica and I went to get some subs and ate them at the local park. It felt very French and we loved it.
Those three things were enough to put me on a high for the rest of the week, and since I was so filled with joy I decided the rest of the day was going to be more of the same: relaxing and enjoying myself and not worrying about work.
So when I got home, I decided to record for basically the first time since we finished our hymn CD two years ago. I have a MacBook now with Garageband, and while using a computer lacks a certain amount of lo-fi charm that you get with a 4-track, it's pretty wonderful all the things you can do. So, we pretty much finished "I stand amazed in the presence" also known as "How marvelous" and let me tell you, this track is HOTT with two t's. Look for the new album to drop in the near future, since we're so excited about how much better it sounds. I feel like a real rock star saying like everyone always says, "This album is better than anything we've ever done before...we're really taking things to a new level..."
Then our parents visited last night, which was really nice too, even though I fell asleep with them here.
And that was our wonderful day.
Don't worry, I won't be doing daily recaps like this too often, either. But a day like that deserves recapping.
Monday, September 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment