Saturday, September 22, 2007

A lot of people tend to complain about the fact that they never know when I'm being serious and when I'm being sarcastic. Apparently there's a fine line between the two that often gets blurry. I've always had a rule that I will always answer truthfully if someone asks, "Are you serious?" Although recently, I've found out that sometimes even I don't know when I'm being serious and when I'm not.

I do get a little frustrated, though, when I am trying to be completely serious and people refuse to believe it or accept it. I guess though, after all this time, maybe I mostly deserve that.

Well, I've always attempted to tone down the sarcasm in my classroom. I never thought it was too much of a problem. But apparently the kids are starting to detect this same fine line that everyone else is struggling with.

During games day yesterday, I was giving one boy some genuine, authentic encouragement. I was really trying to help here, giving him some serious praise. He looked at me with eyes of skepticism and said, "Are you being serious or sarcastic?" I was stunned.

Come on!

No comments: