Thursday, November 15, 2007

"I want to tell you how much I've enjoyed A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints, Chalk, Dan in Real Life, Into the Wild, and The Darjeeling Limited, and what I've taken from each one."

I missed A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints in the theaters and put it in my queue instead. I was intrigued when I heard it was a memoir about surviving the culture in which I was attempting to teach at the time. And boy did it hit home, making some part of me regret leaving that demographic for the comfort of the motivated upper class. I could instantly attach a former student with each one of the characters, some with so much potential, seeing their culture for what it was, and longing to escape to bigger and better things, and others simply caught up, unable to escape. The most memorable part was each character intoducing themselves to the camera, accompanied with some sort of line that explained who they were. The scene ended with Antonio, walking up, looking straight into the camera and saying, "I'm a f------ piece of s---. And that's who I am." Strong words, indeed, but I could name a long list of my former students who would say the same thing if they could be honest with themselves; they have no identity other than what their abusive fathers and careless teachers and parole officers and society have told them over and over again. And it completely explains why they act the way they act. But besides the storyline, the movie--and I'm assuming the book as well--are amazing achievements for the autobiographer, Dito Montiel. Why didn't we hear more about this one when it came out?

I saw Chalk shortly after, another movie forcing me to reflect on my first two years of teaching. The movie is no great accomplishment. It's more a group of friends making a movie, finding themselves hilariously funny when they are only moderately funny at best, and thus overdoing some things too much and other things not enough. But the main character is played quite well, and if you want a small taste for my first years of teaching, watch him. I swear some of the exact things that came out of his mouth came out of mine as well. And the scene where he wrestles himself when signing his contract for the following year was also quite true and accurate. ...And, come to think of it, perhaps that's the other problem with Chalk. I never quite figured out how much of a mockumentary it was. Some things were too true to life and some things were, I think, fully intended to be serious, either showing what teachers truly go through or attempting to encourage them in some way. I think the group of people putting it together simply couldn't make up their minds on that end. And it's okay.

Dan in Real Life was sweet fun. Maybe I'm only liking movies that remind me of myself, but this one reminded me of our family vacations and family dynamics in a big way, and I found myself identifying with Dan at several moments. I loved how it communicated the warmth and support of a family but also the simultaneous isolation and loneliness. Maybe that's a paradox only introverts experience, but it was an intriguing insight. And while it seemed like a simple role, Steve Carrell is just a wonderful actor. Again, maybe it's because I could relate, but he just seemed to communicate nonverbal thoughts and feelings exceptionally well. It's always a shame when great actors get pegged in the goofball category, especially when even (some of) their comedy is incredibly intelligent.

Into the Wild was simply excellent. For Erica and I, it was so alarmingly similar to the friend we picked up a while back on so many different levels. If I were to write my thoughts on the theme of the movie, it would read pretty much exactly like my thoughts of that crazy experience in April. Again, maybe I'm only liking (or seeing?) movies that remind me of me.

And this past Tuesday, Dan, Wes and I went to see The Darjeeling Limited. First of all, few things are more relaxing than a weekday matinee. Second of all, this was a bit of a departure for Wes Anderson, one that felt like an EP between full lengths, a short story between novels. It was lovely. "I looks like I have more healing to do." "You've come a long way, though." "And it adds character." Mr. Anderson has a knack for these beautiful moments that tug at your heart and stick with you forever. That was one.

"I want to tell you how overwhelmed with movies I am now...I've waited all year, and now there's a whole slew to keep up with."

Wanting to see: Michael Clayton, Before the Devil Knows Your Dead, American Gangster, The Savages, Juno, Lars and the Real Girl, What Would Jesus Buy?, still My Kid Could Paint That, No Country for Old Men, and maybe Margot at the Wedding. What else am I forgetting? Eagerly awaiting There Will Be Blood.

No comments: