Sunday, November 25, 2007

So, happy Thanksgiving, and happy Black Friday, and all of that.

I'm savoring the last of my break, here. Moravians apparently don't hunt, so we don't have off tomorrow.

There is truly so much for which to be thankful. On the top of that list, this year, is my job. After the last two years, I never expected to find a job that didn't make me dread waking up each morning. But I've found that job. It's rewarding and enjoyable, and more often than not, it's actually fun. This is a privilege I am not taking for granted, and while some days I have conflicted feelings about giving up on my previous job, it's a blessing I'll take advantage of while I can.

And as nice as this place is, and as tough as the last school was, I can say I'm thankful for those years too. They taught me some pretty important things. My patience grew, my trust in God deepened, my love, compassion and understanding for people widened, and I learned a lot about teaching. I still get excited when I see old students of mine walking through town. I get more excited than they do, that's for sure, and I probably make a fool of myself rolling down my windows and yelling at them. But I miss them. And I'm thankful for my time with them.

I'm thankful for a wonderful summer. Each time I see a picture of our adventures, vivid memories come flooding back and I can physically sense just for a moment how relaxed and stress-free we were. It was truly amazing. And I can close my eyes and picture myself on certain streets in Marseille or Montpellier or Strasbourg, and it brings a smile to my face. I am humbled to realize we had the opportunities we did.

I'm thankful for being encouraged. Grandfathers came up to me at Grandparents Day and took the time to ask how my year was going and they thanked me for all I do. And outside of school, lots of people are taking the time to encourage me in my teaching at church. Erica and I have had great interaction with people who are encouraging us as a couple. And all of this tells us God is working in our lives and marriage.

And I'm thankful for my wife. This woman, again this year, took on the planning of a thanksgiving meal that fed around 300 people across the Lehigh Valley. It was more amazing than ever. And if you saw the work behind the scenes you would know the compassion she has for these people, the grace she wants to communicate to them. She's an incredible woman.

And I could go on.

Could you?

No comments: