Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Beautiful Beauty

Faithful readers have probably caught on that I talk about--and look for--beauty quite a bit. Whenever I'm talking about my latest favorite film, album, or book, I get worried about sounding so redundant if I keep using the noun beauty or the adjective beautiful. But to me, the words capture a certain, specific feeling to which no other word is synonymous. All along, I guess I'm hoping the people who hear me use the word can sense that deeper meaning, rather than thinking I'm one of the Staten Island natives my brother-in-law always talks about, the people who use 'beautiful' to describe anything and everything they come across.

(As delicious as a grilled cheese sandwich is, for example, there would have to be some pretty special circumstances--the type of cheese, accompanying soup, the weather outside, the setting, the music playing in the background--in order for me to call the sandwich beautiful.)

Despite my intense interest in and heightened awareness of beauty, it's a topic that is largely philosophically and theologically unexplored for me.

So, I was excited to see Overstreet's post on the topic today. His thoughts sound familiar and he's given some extra reading material. I have yet to delve into it, but perhaps you'd like to join me in reading?

No comments: