Saturday, March 01, 2008

Signs of Spring

Even with the extra day yesterday, it's March already. Last night's snow storm made way for a warm and sunny day today. The sun has been rising earlier, and we're a week away from Daylight Savings which means it will be setting later.

But nothing shouts Spring at me more than spotting a North American Robin hop across the yard. Growing up, my backyard neighbor/early Sunday School teacher/grandmother figure/friend Mrs. Cassel used to have contests with me on who would spot a Robin earliest in the year. And even at age 24, it still comes to mind.

So, when I pulled up to my parents' house and saw five of those red bellies hanging out together for the first time this year, the little kid in me smiled big and grew very excited. I had the urge to run down to Mrs. Cassel immediately, but the adult in me says it's best to just wait until I bump into her, maybe at church tomorrow.

Most of all, I'm just relieved that Spring is coming. My love for and tolerance of winter decreases a little bit every year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate spring.....and summer is even worse.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I saw a big flock of robins on Tuesday.
It made me sick.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xN_UssjGh0

nateshorb said...

hmmm...is this someone's new internet girlfriend?