Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Poetic Review of Spring Break 2008 (so far)

The only assignment I gave my students over Spring Break was to write just one poem about their travels. I promised I would do the same. Erica and I just returned from Assateague National Seashore, and in a moment of brave vulnerability, I will share some of our poetry:

A haiku by me:
Marks made in the sand
and erased just thereafter
Endless etch-a-sketch

A haiku by Erica:
Waves dance crazily
Sun playing on my cold face
Winter rebellion

A haiku by both of us:
Seven sandpipers
flee quickly from ocean's foam.
Poke & prod, repeat.

And another poem by me:
White foam unrolls
Attempting to reach toes
Two friends walk slowly on a stretch of sand
Sun shining bold
But noses stay cold
Sweatshirts and scarves keep bodies untanned
How odd that we
Pass time by this sea
the last vast expanse keeping us from foreign land


Pictures and prose forthcoming.

No comments: