Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Syllabic Conundrum

Let's take a vote:

Using nothing more than your immediate intuition and honest gut instinct, how many syllables do the following words have?

-Mile

-Child

-Soil

-Turmoil

Please repond in the comments box. An explanation will be given when significant data has been collected. Thank you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Face it Nate, I'm the only one reading this thing anymore. But, if anyone else is still reading there's no need to keep them hanging. These are called demi-syllables. A half syllable which equals one syllable. These consist of half a syllable, from the beginning of the syllable to
the middle of the vowel, or from the middle of the vowel to the end of the syllable. Syllables are thus split at the point of maximum intensity.
Not trying to steal your thunder Nate, but you're not the only smart Shorb!

nateshorb said...

Haha...and your're not the only Shorb who can use Google!

I had a big story about this that I was eager to tell, but since no one else reads this, I can tell you over family dinner sometime.

Anonymous said...

What's Google?

Anonymous said...

Apparently you're too young to remember I got a near perfect score on the English section of the SAT's and tested out of English 101 at the illustrious University of Bible at Lancaster.

Anonymous said...

For the record.... I still read this thing and would like to hear the story... Since I dont get family dinner time. LOL! Miss you both! Tonya

amanda + daniel said...

hmph, i'd never heard of a demi-syllable! perhaps this knowledge will come in handy one day.