Thursday, May 22, 2008

Les 100 Guitares

Tomorrow night will see me traveling to Williamsport with Steve and Wes to see the debut of a new composition for 100 electric guitars by Rhys Chatham.

I have a feeling this will not be so much about the music as it will be about the spectacle (have you ever seen 100 electric guitars on one stage before??) and the cultural experience (I mean, what sort of person is actually interested in something like this??). I'm very intrigued to see how the whole thing will unfold.

I think it's going to be a very exciting prelude to the summer.

"Guitar Centet will not be about brutal intensity, but rather about the fantastic sonority that only an ensemble of 100 electric guitars can achieve, which I have been working with for almost 20 years now. It will be about the sheer beauty and sensuality of the electric guitar."

No comments: