Saturday, May 31, 2008

Weekend Culture Update.

I finished recording Fairest Lord Jesus. I can't decide if it's decent or awful, but I'm pretty sure it's awful and I'm going to have to start from scratch in order to improve. But you learn a little something more from every recording experience. This one taught me that the chord organ simply isn't as beautiful as I'd like to pretend it to be, and fake reverb isn't very beautiful either.

I finally watched The Thin Blue Line, the classic documentary by Errol Morris. Now that I've seen his most significant work, I feel I can talk about him with some sense of authority and credibility. I love the guy. If you don't know anything about him, get your hands on any one of his films, including his First Person television series, and then we'll discuss.

We went to see The Visitor tonight. It's a charming and powerful little gem of a movie that I'll highly recommend. The only problem was that the audio cut out in the final minutes. It did so in such a way that we weren't sure if it was an artistic decision (which seemed quite odd but somewhat possible) or a technical malfunction. After consulting Neville, it was certainly a very unfortunate technical malfunction.

After hearing our friend Mike play piano in our friend Nate's living room, I decided today to download some of Philip Glass's solo piano music. It's lovely. And of course I also like him because he collaborates with Errol Morris quite often.

Speaking of liking something for not exactly the right reasons, when my family asked me if I liked the Chatham concert, I said I enjoyed it quite a bit. My eight-year-old niece said, "You just like him because he's from Paris!"

What insight. Maybe she's on to something.

No comments: