Since preaching, I've been wondering more specifically about how well my generation of "Christians" is doing at hating our lives, particularly in those three categories of obedience, service, and planning. It's always tricky overgeneralizing and stereotyping like I'm about to do, as there will always be at least one anecdote to prove things wrong. But these are some casual observations of trends from one who lives within them.
In planning, young people are bit unusual. We've watched our grandparents and parents plan perfectly and stay in the same house in the same town at the same job all their lives. At points, they look a bit miserable or at least a little bored, so we're hesitant to take their advice when they try to tell us a thing or two about prudent planning. We can't make up our minds and look a bit bewildered when faced with monumental decisions. Rapid paces of technological and societal advancement tell us we can't predict the future, so why bother planning? We live in the moment and let the winds of change blow us wherever they please.
On the surface, then, we look willing to submit our plans to God, but maybe that's only because we have no significant plans that we're invested in, and we would not be foolish to pursue a little more diligence in thinking toward the future more often.
All of this is one reason why Erica's and my plan for France is daunting for us and friends our age; departure is a couple of years away, and then there's three years of language and cultural acquisition, and then we get to work?! I'm finally getting to the point where departing in a year and nine months seems really soon, but I recently shared that with someone else our age and she said, "Two years?! That's really far away!"
In service and generosity, most of us are disillusioned with the American dream. We're well aware of materialism and consumerism, and we like to complain about it in philosophical discussions. Capitalism is what's ruined this country, after all. That makes us sound like we don't care about money, so it might make us sound like we're pretty generous too. Is it true? This one's a little harder to pinpoint, but part of me thinks we tell ourselves we don't care about money just so that we don't have to be diligent in doing the planning it takes to make money. Our fathers and grandfathers kept their jobs for 30 years in order to make money. Thirty years sounds like a long and miserable amount of time, so if we tell ourselves we don't care about the money, we won't have to do it.
I'd say we have great potential to be generous, because we are close to having the underlying ideologies of simplicity. But so far, I'd venture to say we're just as selfish as the next person. We like to get and hold on to our "stuff" just as much; we just have more trickier arguments and discussions that excuse it.
In order to get to France, Erica and I have to raise a lot of support. That means people are going to have to give us money. Our generation hates this idea. Why? Probably because, ultimately, we don't want to give our money away. So we dress it up and say all missionaries should be "tent-makers" because "that's what Paul did," and while I don't dismiss those ideas lightly at all, I'm wondering if we say that so the missionaries can earn their keep and we can keep our earnings. But, I'm slowly coming around to the idea myself: could it be that God doesn't mind some of his believers giving generously so that others can devote themselves and all of their time to his ministry?
Finally, obedience. Plain and simple, we are awful at obedience. We've labeled anyone who preaches about obedience a legalist and a Pharisee. We've grown up hearing, "You don't know me," and "You can't judge me," and "Who are you to tell me what to do?" We have a horrible time responding to authority, and we hate being told what to do. So we have more philosophical discussions about judging others and legalism and the authority of scripture (everything's cultural! everything's relative!), all of which have some validity, but the underlying motivation is really that we want to live however we want to live. We love our lives. We call ourselves followers of Christ without actually following him. We're attempting to have our cake and eat it too, as they say.
James Montgomery Boice said it better than I could:
"For some reason the idea is current today that, because God is gracious and loving, a Christian can therefore enjoy the fullness of God’s blessing without at the same time accepting the full lordship of the Lord Jesus Christ in his or her life. This is not biblical. Those who have convinced themselves of this ignore God’s laws. They disregard his instructions about the permanency of marriage, for instance. They ignore his instructions about continuing to meet together with other Christians. They do not live by the highest of moral standards. So they are not happy, and they do not know why. Well this is why. They have not died to their own desires in order that they might live for Christ. They have not been crucified with him. They have not obeyed him. Jesus may be their Savior, but he is not truly their Lord.
It is not pleasant to be crucified, I know. But you will never truly live in the full spiritual sense until you are. Losing your life means you must be willing to do anything for Christ if he directs it. It will not be a sad and gloomy thing either. Do not think that. The sad thing is to disobey him. To obey is a joy."
And so, your turn. Am I right or wrong?
There's one more part coming to this little mini-series of a post.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Although this is my first post on the series of your Hating Life posts, know that I have read them all and that this one in particular made me want to finally comment.
I think what you're saying isn't necessarily wrong or right (obviously) but I think it's pertinent and interesting to say the least. Your Boice quote made me want to ask you this, though:
What (do you think) Boice means when he talks about not living by "the highest of moral standards?" What would these moral standards be to Boice? Also, am I right in hearing him say, Christians shouldn't be happy in their life, unless that happiness is rooted in a hatred of their own life and submission to God's desire over their life? Also, am I also right in reading Boice who concludes, happiness is contingent upon 1) permanency of marriage, 2) meeting with other Christians, 3) living by the highest moral standards? It sounds like Boice is really advocating Pharisaical Law over the Creative Call of Christ, as a means to happiness more than he's advocating dying to oneself. Doesn't it?
I guess I'm a little suspect of the "I'm suffering because I'm hated by the world" mentality, that really is rooted in taking the wider road and not the narrow "Crucified" road. Meaning, sometimes you die to your life and then God says, "Okay, now I want you to do that." But I died to it, I think. Yet, God says, "Yes. You showed me that you could give it up---you showed me you were willing to do whatever I asked to follow you. Now I'm going to give you the desires of your heart because really, I've placed them there and I want you to live them out." What happens in this case?
I think I ask this because that's kind of been what my journey has been about. What I thought was my own desires I later learned weren't that at all...they belonged to God. God (I believe) put them there. In 2003, I finally considered that possibility after fighting and wondering and wandering and searching for what God wanted from me in this life. I cringe sometimes at the path I'm about to head down (and already am heading down) not because I wonder whether or not God wants me to do this but because I know that if I don't follow this path, I will be disobeying God. This is when stuff starts to get loopy (at least with my life---maybe everyone else who reads this thinks it is all good and easy).
So what am I supposed to do, God? Seriously? When my desires have come full circle and you have blessed them? Micah 6:8 comes to mind:
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness (or to love steadfast love)and to walk humbly with your God?"
I think this should be our judging verse when it comes to this subject. This, for me at least, is more important than "hating your life" or "loving your life." I think Jesus saying "hating your life" was hating the parts of you that doesn't want to give (monetarily) to people going to France today to be missionaries or whatever other missional calling someone else might express; this is because it's not loving kindness and it's disrespecting other's humble walk with God. This is the opposite of good. Maybe instead of love/hate, the better question is: are you living a good life according to Scripture? Or are you living a bad life? But then I guess the question comes into play: what is good? Is good happiness? Not necessarily. Is good selfless? Most of the time I think, yeah. Is good being of God? Yes, I sure hope so. Is good hating your life? The parts of my life that reject justice, avoid kindness, and use pride as a means to walk with God, yes. Is good loving your life? I think this could go part yes, too. For how can the greatest commandment be to love God, love others and love yourself while Jesus is also saying "but hate your life...just love everything and everyone around it." I can't imagine this is what he meant. To me, it seems like Jesus meant this: Hate the life that disobeys God, that chooses safety over suffering, The Self over Others. This is what Jesus' words mean to me. But who knows...maybe I could be missing the point completely.
I think you're presuming upon and terribly misunderstanding Boice, and it may be partly because I only pulled out his quote on obedience without giving you the full context. Rather, I think he's calling out the majority of churchgoers who are Christians in the American cultural sense only, attempting to enjoy the benefits without any of the sacrifice that Christianity entails. Our lives should look a bit different. We won't cheat on our taxes. We won't nurse our depression with alcohol. We'll conduct ourselves with integrity in the workplace. He's not saying this earns salvation or favor with God; but it is a proper response to and evidence of God's work in our lives.
And neither Boice or myself are saying every true Christian gives up a decent job and a decent salary, nor will they choose a way of life that doesn't appeal to them. No--the calling of Christ is vast and varied, and "hating your life" will look very different from one person to the next. Can a person "hate their life" and still be a screenwriter in Hollywood? Of course! And that really excites me.
A Christian could very much "hate his life" and be a fifth grade teacher for the rest of his days. But God seems to have me--but thankfully not every Christian fifth grade teacher--on a slightly different path.
The semantics of "loving/hating your life" grow weary pretty quickly; they're easy to misunderstand. I persist in using them only because Christ used them, and I think he was using such strong language to make his point clear.
Finally, you're right. Hate the parts of your life that reject justice, avoid kindness, and use pride. The thing Christ was getting at is this: all of us, before being reconciled through Christ, in our flesh, acted in the opposite way of justice, kindness, and humility. That's the life we are to hate. And even after being reconciled through Christ, we struggle with our flesh, which still acts against justice, kindness and humility. We must keep on hating that part of our lives as we grow in holiness through his Spirit.
And all the commands Boice mentions that we're to obey? If they're given to us by God and not by Pharisees, they are precisely for the purposes of justice, kindness, and humility.
And yes..."Hate the life that chooses safety over suffering." I like that. You know as well as I do that we American Christians love our safety more than anyone else. The apostles didn't give a rip about theirs, and most world Christians today are following their lead. Will we join?
Post a Comment