Friday, September 25, 2009

The Latest on Mr. Stevens

Yes, I do feel it my duty to keep my corner of the world informed on all things Sufjan Stevens.

And so, when Sufjan announced his short and intimate tour a few months back, I decided to shrug it off, assuming he'd be playing some classics all by himself in these whole-in-the-wall joints. No big deal, I saw that back in 2003 before all the other hipsters got on board. (Yes, I typed that with my chest puffed out and nose turned up.) I assumed he was stalling, offering something to hold us over, and paying a few bills in the progress.

But I had no idea he'd be playing new stuff with a full band. And I had no idea that new stuff would be mindblowingly different and more epic than ever. So, just like every other Pitchfork-follower is blogging today, I watched this video and was instantly filled with regret.

I'm a bit surprised by this curve ball. The announcement of Illinois came out of nowhere and took the world by storm, and I was expecting something similar for whatever new album might be in the works containing these jams. To "leak" this material already is a bit surprising...but it seems like there are always plenty more surprises in store from the man. Who knows.

The big question is this: if these songs will indeed be on an album soon to be released, can I still have a listening party even though I've listened to all of these songs (several times) already? Because, you see, pre-listening breaks the first and more important rule.

Check out this YouTuber for more excellent-quality new material.

No comments: