Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ska'd for Life, etc.

104.5 is a great radio station that popped up in Philadelphia a little bit ago, and it's great because it's playing the "alternative rock" from my high school years. I guess I'm understanding why old people listen to "oldies radio." It just feels right.

So this morning on my quick commute to work, I got super excited when The Mighty Mighty Bosstones started playing "Impression that I Get," and I was instantly and vividly teleported to Dale's basement circa 1998 when our band was diligently working on the cover, making sure the horns nailed those opening triplets, trying to hit the right pitch when screaming "I'VE!", wishing our bass player could get anywhere close to touching that bass riff, and doing my best to memorize the tricky parts (lookatthetestedandthinktherebutforthegracegoi...). And with that, for the first time in a long while, I kinda missed high school.

Elsewhere today, when I compared the nerve impulses on the spinal cord to 'the highway,' I completely-off-the-cuff started singing, "The Spinal Cord is a highway! I wanna ride it all night long!" in my best Rascal Flatts rock-and-roll falsetto. The only boy who joined me was the one I had pegged as a jock, but he jumped right on it like he had the same exact idea at the same exact time and it was his favorite song ever. And in tune! He and I grinned at each other for the rest of class while everyone else tried to figure out what had just happened.

And finally, how would you feel about yourself if you were the guy the president of the United States of America called a jackass? Ouch. It doesn't get much more humiliating than that, whether it was off the record or on. And now that I've given my two cents, let's give the guy a little space to breathe and recuperate, shall we?

No comments: