No one taught me how to treat an album with respect. But in the past few years--and it probably started in a more official, dramatic way in 2005 with Sufjan's Illinois--I've treated new CDs with the same sort of reverence audiophiles had for their brand new LPs. What I mean, I guess, is that even if I'm resorting to a digital copy--something I do very rarely and for only certain albums--I wait until the release date. Then I wait until I can get some time by myself. I find the best method of playing for the best audio quality. And I listen straight through, doing very little besides listening, maybe looking at the artwork, browsing through lyrics and liner notes.
I don't know why I do it. It's a source of pleasure, a way to truly give my attention to the music, rather than letting it be purely background music. It's also my way of giving things a fair shot, and giving some respect to the hard work musicians put into their art.
So, that's my typical habit. But when I surfed upon the treasure of Menomena's new album streaming in its entirety over at NPR, I couldn't resist. I'm ruining the whole experience by streaming it while surfing the web.
And it's very good. Very very good. (Meaning you should go listen!)
Just the other week, we listened to Friend and Foe in the car and I said to Erica, "I really really like this band." They are just so utterly creative and original, and their attention to detail is highly admirable.
All that to say, I feel kinda guilty about cheating on them. I kinda wish I was holding the packaging and artwork right now. (Meaning you should wait to listen and buy the CD!)
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment