Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Bright Evening

I meant to tell you how wonderful the My Brightest Diamond concert was the morning after. I think the main reason I didn't is that I wasn't quite sure I could do it justice.

Such an arresting voice, an mesmerizing presence. No flashy laser light shows or exquisite backdrops or complicated projections needed. Just a woman, her pitch-perfect vocal repertoire, her collection of instruments, her precise drummer, and oh yeah, the chamber-ensemble put together especially for this night didn't hurt either. Other-worldly and down-to-earth all at once.

Dancing between genres, part vaudeville, part 90s grunge, part opera, part African, part hip-hop, part ragtime, part blues, part rock, part swing, part pop, part quirk. A performer like they were meant to be, the kind that don't really exist any more these days (except for Andrew Bird, as I've already explained more than once).

I'm forgetting the dash of Chinese puppetry thrown into the mix.

Suffice it to say, all this after buying tickets somewhat on a whim simply because of liking the new CD and hearing she's pretty good live, we were pleasantly surprised. Also extremely grateful for the friend that stepped up to the plate to babysit for us two hours before we needed to leave.

Before she came on stage that night, a videographer came towards us and politely said, "Pardon, Excusez-moi," than proceeded to set up his video camera directly in front of us, completely blocking the view we had anticipated. We grumbled and he explained it was the best spot and apologized again. I was tempted to go and stand directly in front of his camera, but my combative French is not quite up to speed yet. Well, I was pretty glad when this resulting video was posted: you have us in part to thank, you know. And it makes up for the fact that I can't do this show justice here, because now you can take an hour some evening and go to the show with us. Some of the best songs are missing, but I think you'll get a pretty good idea all the same.

E left the show saying this was one of her favorite singers, who embodies all things she loves, and this was one of her top three favorite concerts. I guess maybe that kind of makes up for the fact that two out of three of our childless Paris dates have been me taking her to concerts....right?

No comments: