Monday, April 23, 2012

Gives and Gives and Gives

The kid walked out to the living room, grin on his face, book under his arm. "Papaaa," he called, as though he were trying to tempt me into something. "Look...The Giving Tree!"

No need to tempt me. We promptly sat down and read it.

The simple tale of a tree that gives and gives and gives to a distracted boy, and is finally pleased when the old man gives up the futile search for happiness elsewhere and decides to sit down and rest on the stump that is left.
Quit your searching, your trying, your labor and your toil, none of it will give you happiness like resting with the one who generously, patiently, relentlessly gives.

After tucking the boy in, I hunkered down in the kitchen to wash some dishes. It's a long affair these days because the vintage dishwasher that came with the apartment appears to be broken and I have not yet tried to figure out how to find a repairman of vintage dishwashers in France. And so while washing dishes, I had plenty of time to listen to a sermon by a friend.

He read these words to me:

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

You probably know by now I tend to complicate things. I get bogged down in details and mechanics and whys and hows and ifs and ands and buts. But as I washed those dishes, I heard the Gospel, the core of Christianity, as one simple message. The Creator King who generously and graciously gives us day after beautiful day to use how we wish opens his arms and extends a simple, personal invitation: 

"Come, rest, learn." 

As Bonhoeffer said to me the other day, "He wants to be gracious to you."  

No begging your way in, He's ready when you are. 

No long list of demands or requirements. No clean-up acts or fancy well-rehearsed apologies. No measuring up or buckling down. Just come. Get into this yoke with Him; it's far easier than the one you're pulling yourself. Get rid of that burden you're carrying; His is much lighter. Just come. Get some rest. 

"Ok, but what do I need to do?" you'll ask. 

Quit trying to complicate things. Get over yourself. Just come, rest, and learn.

No comments: