Friday, August 11, 2006

It's a beautiful day, and it's been a relaxing one, too. Erica and I have been taking it slow. We continued reading our Madeleine book under a tree at Rockland Park. We went for water ice at Basilio's. We've continued relaxing in our living room, her laying on the couch, me laying on the floor, listening to records and continuing to read.

What do I miss most about college? Simply being in the presence of friends. I miss having people wandering into my room and just sitting with me. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or what they're doing. No pressure to talk, to entertain, to amuse each other, but simply relaxing together, being in the same room. Erica and I had a taste of it with each other, but I was longing for someone else to just come and sit in the livingroom with us. Silence isn't an easy thing to master with friends, and it grows even more rare in the world of adulthood. This is one of the main reasons why I would still like to live in community with friends.

Even when I tell people to just stop by whenever they want--to hang out, to say hello, to relax, to drink a cup of coffee, to do their homework, to get away, whatever!--they either a) don't think I'm making a serious invite or b) think it's an awkward thing to do or c) forget.

When I first listened to Early Day Miners' Let Us Garlands Bring, I knew it was the perfect album. I'm not willing to say it's my favorite album, but it is definitely, without a doubt, the most soothing, comforting, relaxing album I own. Not even the Six Parts Seven can top it. So, that's what's been playing this afternoon, along with their one-sided LP from Burnt Toast. It makes for good afternoons, especially when the summer is coming to an end.

So, hurry. You've got 11 days to come over, lay on the floor, and listen to Early Day Miners with me. Of course, the offer stands even after school starts, but something about the closure of summer makes it all the more enjoyable.

No comments: