Monday, August 14, 2006

You know what really impresses me? When secretaries remember and use your name. I just called Wilkes University about registration (more on that in a second), and all I had to say was "Yes, my name is Nate Shorb..." and not only was she very nice and helpful, she finished the conversation by saying, "Well, you take care, Nate." MAN these women are GOOD! When I was a secretary of sorts at Taylor's admissions office, I would ask people for their name about 5 times, and even then I wouldn't remember it.

Yes, if all goes through at the admissions and registrar's offices, I will be starting a grad class on September 6th. When I tell people I'm starting grad school, they "ooo" and "aah" like I'm a really smart and important person. I guess it does sound like a big deal. But I haven't really thought twice about it. First of all, a masters degree is something I have to do to get permanent teaching certification. Second, this seems to be kind of a joke of a program. So, to me it's just par for the course, I guess. Something to deal with and get through.

In other news, you really MUST go watch this video. It's the most incredible and hilarious thing I've seen in a while. The lo-fi-home-video-random-people-dancing seems to be the latest fad in the music video scene, but this one tops all. Thanks, Jamin.

Last night were Musikfest fireworks, and they were more intense than usual. There was even a fake grand finale, followed by a long, long pause, which caused everyone to clap and start to get up to leave, only to be followed by an even bigger grand finale, and it was amazing. As is typical of my impulsive firework behavior, I started yelling stupid things like, "OH LITTLE TOWN OF BETH!-LE!-HEM!"

And remember the other night when I said I was going for a walk? Yeah, well, walking by yourself at midnight isn't as therapeutic as I thought. As soon as I headed down Maple, I heard a gang of drunken young people following me, and I got really freaked out. I finally lost them but heard weird noises and mean barking dogs for the rest of the walk.

I guess I never said much about the family vacation. It was absolutely lovely. Camping in tents with 10 people has its interesting moments, especially when we (all 10 of us, ages 3-58) decide to go for a 9 mile hike up a 4,000+ foot mountain. I could go into detail, but there are much too many details to include. Other interesting moments included my brother leading our parents' minivan up a mountainous dirt road intended only for 4x4's, only to get so far and be forced to turn around. Teaching 3-year-old Logan how to pee on a tree was also a highlight. He did it with such prowess, further proving that he is truly a quintessential boy, loving mud, rocks, adventure, snakes, toads, karate, and so on. And my new mountain pie recipe was absolutely incredible: peanut butter, chocolate, marshmallow, and sliced bananas grilled in the fire. Mind-blowingly delicious.

I think I'm going to school this afternoon. I need to check out my new classroom. Maybe I'll hand in my resignation while I'm at it.

1 comment:

Chalupa said...

I saw that OK Go video about a month ago or so. It's pretty sweet. I think from far away the lead singer kinda looks like Cillian Murphy.