Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Yes, school is going well after the first two days. I have a confidence now that will never compare to the first year of teaching. I am comfortable, I have an idea of what I'm doing, and I'm staying on top of things for the most part. Having my own room also makes a world of difference. Having the same kids again isn't so bad. There have been some good changes in each of them. I think things will shape up pretty nicely.

And when I talk like this, I can't believe it. I can come home and not spend the evening crying. I can come home, say my day went well, and actually mean it. Is this the same person? The same profession? The same school? The same KIDS?!

Today I gave a little speech about respect, including the bit about being nice to people even if they're mean to you. Two out of three classes seemed to accept it. But the third class thought this was the most ridiculous idea ever. I tried my best to clarify, speaking even more loudly and passionately, trying to explain the gridlock we find ourselves in if everyone just returns violence with violence. But they just didn't seem to get it, just as I expected from some of them. They rolled their eyes and laughed it off. We'll keep working on them.

That was the same class who, after explaining my rule about saying thank you and the other life lessons I will be trying to teach this year, asked, "Aren't just supposed to be teaching math? Why are you trying to teach all this extra stuff?" I tried to take advantage of that question, explaining, but I got the same reaction.

One of the benefits of being a second year teacher is that you now have FORMER students who come to visit you. An eighth grader I taught last year stopped by after school today, told me about high school, football, setting goals for college, staying away from drugs, worrying about his friends, and so forth. It was so good to see him. He is a crazy kid, totally weird, one you can't help but love if you're not the one trying to teach him. It was good to see him and it was a reminder why I'm in this profession.

3 comments:

Chalupa said...

I'm so glad to hear that teaching is going better for you this year. Do you think last year was just because of your first year teaching, the kids, or maybe both? Don't have to think too hard about it. Just curious for a gut-response.

Anonymous said...

Hey little cousin! I am not sure why my last comment didnt post. I am glad that you are having a better start to the year. I love reading the teacher perspective on things. I of course have the mother's perspective. And my first grader is one miserable girl this year. Full days are killing her. I would love to hear from you. My home email is Cauffman@countryilink.net. If you email me and I would love to hear from you and email some pics of the family. I love ya! T

Anonymous said...

Hey little cousin! I am not sure why my last comment didnt post. I am glad that you are having a better start to the year. I love reading the teacher perspective on things. I of course have the mother's perspective. And my first grader is one miserable girl this year. Full days are killing her. I would love to hear from you. My home email is Cauffman@countryilink.net. If you email me and I would love to hear from you and email some pics of the family. I love ya! T